Sunday, February 13, 2011

Kids Magnet

One day, I saw my friend’s Facebook status “iPhone 4 is a fantastic tool to keep kids busy #babysitting” which I totally agree with.  Just look at my girl…

Shu Shu, I want to play Farting Cat :)

Daddy, please don't disturb me, I know how to operate this.
Daddy, I show you how to play Fruit Ninja.
The boys, "Why is this girl sitting on our daddy's lap?"
Eve, your mummy's phone got Angry Birds or not?
iPhone iPhone!! We want to play!!!
Mummy... I don't care, I want Talking Hippo, buy buy buy!!
Daddy, look! The birds and pigs are bigger here!!
My girl, she is 2 year old and she is not a super friendly kid. Most of the time when our friends talk to her, she won’t give a damn.  However, if you happen to carry an iPhone, she will become your “close friend” instantly :)

One day, my brother-in-law brought an iPad to our house, she was so happy to see the “big iPone”, rushed to him, hugged him and sat on his lap immediately.  Both of them became BFF since then :D

I must admit that Jobs has done a great job on inventing the cool gadget.  It’s a good tool for babysitting.  However, there are pros and cons based on my personal experience.

Pros
  • Yes! You can really stop them from running around for maybe 20 mins to half an hour.
  • It’s highly interactive because of the touch screen.  Kids just love it!
  • Fun and fast learning with educational apps.
  • Motor skills training perhaps (how fast they can cut the fruits and how good they can control the birds flying :D)?

Cons
  • They always fight if you have only 1 iPhone but have more than 1 kid.
  • They can really sit there for more than half an hour with their eyes getting closer and closer to the screen.  Is it bad for the eyes?
  • Have to always stand by charger, coz they will play and play till your batt goes low.
  • They won’t let you pick up incoming calls while they are playing with it.  If you insist, they will cry and roll on the floor.
  • They may accidentally delete your data or apps.  They won’t tell you, you have to discover it yourself.
  • When they play other app on your friends’ iPhone, and if they like it so much and they can’t find the same app on your phone, they will cry non-stop.  You have no choice but to pay for the app to stop the crying.
  • Whenever they don’t know how to play the game, they will scream for your help.  Ended up you can’t do your own things coz need to sit beside to guide them play.
  • Need to hide whenever using the phone, coz kids will just highjack it.
So, is it good idea to introduce iPhone to your kids?  I wonder when my girl will demand for a “big iPhone” :D

7 comments:

Au Kar Wai said...

Epic moments with the family thru iPhone! Hahaha

shirleyc said...

Epic gadget with epic kids in the epic family, of coz got epic moments lah... hahaha!!!! Do I use it epically right ah? :D

Au Kar Wai said...

Wow indeed you are epically correct in all of your epic usages! Well done epically! ;p

shirleyc said...

Feel so young now :D

Au Kar Wai said...

You ARE young! In deniably young :D

Anonymous said...

Shirley... i so scared to let my kids play with mine... so its off limits for now... yan! Yan!

Amelia

shirleyc said...

Ya man... must control them. Recently my girl deleted some of the games folders and changed my ring tone to dog bark :(